Not only did my yeast throw a party in the fermentor, they decided to do a little redecorating. I guess the party thought the walls in my closet were a little too bland and decided to take matters into their own hands.
I came home from work to find that not only had the krausen bubbled into my airlock, it had popped the airlock clean off of the fermentor. This resulted in my fermentor sitting in a healthy heap of krausen, with a little bit of spatter on the wall.
Needless to say, I panicked. I quickly grabbed my second airlock, rushed it into some sanitized water, and popped it on the fermentor. The airlock almost immediately started popping about twice a second, so I knew my fermentation was still good and active.
I commenced clean up of the botched painting experiment, wiping down and underneath the fermentor, and the little bit on the walls. That’s when I realized I positioned the fermentor directly underneath my suits. I’m happy to say my dressy threads were spared, and I will not be creating a new fashion trend of beer painted suits.
I did some research on the popping off of airlocks, and luckily, it isn’t as bad as I thought. The general consensus is as long as the yeast continued producing gas at the rate at a high-enough rate, it’d keep out any contaminants and the beer would be fine. Since the airlock immediately started popping at a fast rate when I replaced it, I knew the beer was still good to go.
So no harm, no foul. I’m going to need a bouncer for the next yeast party.
(Note to self: buy a blow-off tube.)